Aspiring Western Cape based jazz musicians and instrumentalists are invited to participate in this year’s Youth Jazz Series, scheduled to take place from 16-17 June at Artscape Theatre.
Initiated by Artscape in 2003 as the Youth Jazz Festival, this project has grown extensively over the years to accommodate the enormous interest and exceptional talent of young jazz musicians. As the project continues to evolve it is now known as the Youth Jazz Series. The project includes Masterclass programmes where the young musicians will learn from those experienced in the industry and then take to the stage.
The two-day concert will witness School Jazz Bands performing on Youth Day, Friday 16th June with the young aspiring Jazz Soloists getting to showcase their talent on Saturday 17th June.
The benefits of participating in the festival are numerous and on-going. Participants become hubs of sustainable learning as they are given a platform to voice their own creativity to a captive audience while they also get an opportunity to broaden their horizons by experiencing the magic of live stage, lights, sound and an audience.
Aspiring musicians and instrumentalists are required to submit an audition video via online platforms with the following criteria:
- The age restriction is 27 years in the year of participation.
- We encourage scholars and informal music students to audition.
- Music literacy is not essential. Candidates who only play by ear are most welcome.
- Candidates must reside in the Western Cape.
- A maximum of two 3-4 min Audition videos to be sent to contact person below by Friday 12th May 2023. (Please complete application form and submit with your audition videos)
- Candidates must submit 2 songs/standards. Any jazz tune or standard is acceptable.
- Selected candidates will be contacted for live audition with Audition Panel if further audition performance is required
- A maximum of 15 minutes will be allocated per candidate.
- All candidates must be available to attend Masterclasses the week of Monday 5th June to Saturday 17th June 2023. These sessions will be set up and agreed upon by candidates and mentors once auditions are concluded.
- All candidates must be available for ALL required rehearsals between May – June 2023 (These sessions will be set up and agreed upon by candidates and mentors).
Key Dates to be available:
- Jazzathon Workshop @ Grandwest – Friday 23rd June 2023
- Performance at The Roxy in Grandwest – Saturday 24th June @ 15h00
- Performance @ UCT Jazzfest – 19th September 2023
- Performance at Jazzathon January 2024 @ V&A Waterfront
Entry forms can be obtained from email@example.com. All WhatsApp audition videos to be sent to 084 447 3516 (Please confirm name & surname) By Fri 12th May 2023.
For media enquiries, please contact Themba Mzondi on 078 113 5216 or email Themba@sceproductions.co.za