The 2018 Schools’ Arts Festival was celebrated in grand style following the successful gala held at Artscape Theatre Centre on the 30 August 2018.
Eighteen (18) primary and secondary schools from over participating schools across the province (rural and urban) were selected and sponsored with transport to Artscape Theatre to present their extraordinary projects to a jam-packed theatre audience. The gala participants were awarded with participatory certificates and trophies.
The 2018 Schools’ Arts Festival was initiated and coordinated by Artscape’s School Liaison Unit with funding by the HCI Foundation. It aims to encourage nation building as young people and their parents from different cultural backgrounds come together to experience a common goal.
Says Thokozile Ntshinga, Advisor to the CEO: Transformational Projects: “The Schools Arts Festival is a flagship project of Artscape to use the arts as a vehicle to give a voice to social cohesion. Every year, schools from different cultural, linguistic and geographical areas perform on Artscape’s stage and celebrate our diversity and sameness. This festival gives testimony that when we work and celebrate our talents we can celebrate who we are as a nation. The young ones really show what it is to be human”, said Ntshinga.
The benefits of participating in the festival are numerous and on-going. As part of Artscape’s Audience Development and Education’s ongoing vision to develop a love for the performing arts and contributing to nation building, this is a wonderful opportunity for all participants. Approximately 15 schools share the same stage each evening, contributing to an exciting and diverse theatre experience, from classical choirs to contemporary dance. The festival culminates in a glittering gala performance by selected schools, attended by various dignitaries and showcases the talent which exists in our schools. This festival will also enable the learners to obtain theatre discipline and etiquette.
2018 Artscape Schools’ Arts Festival gala participants:
- Edgemead Primary School (Jazz/R&B Band)
- Astra School for Special Needs (Dance)
- Aprodite Belly Dance (Belly Dance)
- Laerskool Jan van Riebeeck (Jnr Choir)
- Boy Muller (Adam Small Poem)
- Alta Du Toit (Marimba)
- Oscar Mpeta High School (African Contemp)
- Tiffany (Acrobatic Dance)
- JG Meiring Voce Armoriche (Choir)
- Zonnebloem Girls Primary School (Dance Fusion)
- Weskus School of Skills (Riel Dance)
- Bredasdorp High School (Choir)
- Kayamnandi Primary School (Traditional Dance and Song)
- Pretty Little Lady (Morden Dance)
- Intsebenziswano High School (Choir)
- Intsebenziswano High School (Juggling)
- Botriver Community Group (Marimba)
- The Settlers High School (Hip Hop)