- This event has passed.
The Pearl Fishers
Cape Town Opera’s 2021 production of Bizet’s masterful opera, The Pearl Fishers (Les pêcheurs de perles), returns to the Artscape Theatre stage. During the height of lockdown, the limited audience capacity prevented opera lovers from attending the stunning first run of the semi-staged production. To celebrate our return to full houses and open theatres, the company is overjoyed to bring The Pearl Fishers back.
Bizet’s 1863 opera, composed to a French libretto by Eugène Cormon and Michel Carré, centres on two men’s rivalry in their love for the same woman. The fishermen Zurga and Nadir’s lifelong friendship is tested when they both fall in love with the beautiful priestess, Leïla, who in turn finds herself torn between her sacred oaths and secular love.
The stirring music and heart-wrenching story will be brought to life by Cape Town Opera soloists and Chorus, featuring celebrated South African tenor Levy Sekgapane and under the direction of Elisabeth Manduell, with concept by Matthew Wild and art work by Shakil Solanki.
Wednesday, 10 May 2023 – Levy Sekgapane
Friday, 12 May 2023 – Levy Sekgapane
Saturday, 13 May 2023 – Lukhanyo Moyake
Sunday, 14 May 2023 – Levy Sekgapane
Please Note: No late comers will be allowed entrance into the venue.
No children under 5 at evening performances.
Parking is available at the Cape Town Civic Centre’s basement parking, Mondays to Fridays between 6pm and 11pm. Parking will be available on Saturdays and Sundays as well as public holidays, for matinee and evening performances. Access to the parking area is via Jan Smuts Street.
• No cash will be accepted/handled at the entry point;
• Payments can be made with Debit/Credit card;
• The parking fees are as follows: - Normal fee: R27.00; - Pensioners: R17.00;
• The gate to the parking will be closed 15 minutes after the starting time of a performance and opened after the performance;
• For security reasons, patrons will be required to inform the attendant which production they are attending, you may also provide proof of a reservation to a production or an event, or proof of invitation to a production or event, at the entry point;
• Patrons are to contact the emergency number (021) 400 2828 in the event of an emergency;
• For your safety a security guard will be stationed at the garage entry
Limited facilities for wheelchairs are available in the Opera House and Theatre in accordance with safety regulations. Wheelchair seats can be booked at the Artscape Box Office, at any Computicket outlet, or through the Computicket call centre. Please note that the Arena is not wheelchair friendly. Toilets for wheelchair-bound patrons aresituated in the Marble and Chandelier Foyers of the Opera House and on the lower level of the Theatre Foyer. Limited parking bays are available for bona fide Disabled Parking Disc Holders in the tunnel area opposite the Stage Door entrance, and in the staff parking area. A drop-off facility is available in the tunnel area for patrons who have difficulty walking. Prior arrangements in all regards should be made with the Theatre Manager.Wheelchairs
Disabled Parking and Wheelchairs are available on site but should be pre-booked by contacting Artscape Dial-a-seat on 021 421 7695