FIND A SHOW
- This event has passed.
Start DateAug 11 2023
The annual hit, ABFAB DRAG, returns to Artscape with a bang on 11th and 12th August 2023. With fine feathers preened, false eyelashes fluttering and sequins glittering, the fiercely feminine/masculine are gathering to celebrate the world of “lip sync”, with ambiguous seduction and gender identification. Cape Town has a scintillating DRAG tradition that dates back to the thirties, especially in vibrant District Six. Today the pageants, the parties, the hair dressing salons, and the fabulous drag queen “balls” still flourish across the City. However, it`s often hosted in underground clubs, catering to a select few who know where to find them. ABFAB DRAG endeavours to put the crème de la crème of DRAG centre stage.
It features top class, DRAG divas Vida Fantabisher, SA’s Got Talent 2016 runner-up Manila von Teez, as well as Kat Gilardi, Jayde Kay Johnson and Angel Lalamore of drag cabaret group 3D fame, all choreographed and put together with the sublime dancers of the Jazzart Dance Theatre. MC Soli Philander is no stranger to the Artscape Stage and will narrate you through this magical show. Basil Appollis stiches it all together and cracks the designer whip as director.
We boast with “SOLD OUT” houses in previous years so book early.
Parking is available at the Cape Town Civic Centre’s basement parking, Mondays to Fridays between 6pm and 11pm. Parking will be available on Saturdays and Sundays as well as public holidays, for matinee and evening performances. Access to the parking area is via Jan Smuts Street.
• No cash will be accepted/handled at the entry point;
• Payments can be made with Debit/Credit card;
• The parking fees are as follows: - Normal fee: R27.00; - Pensioners: R17.00;
• The gate to the parking will be closed 15 minutes after the starting time of a performance and opened after the performance;
• For security reasons, patrons will be required to inform the attendant which production they are attending, you may also provide proof of a reservation to a production or an event, or proof of invitation to a production or event, at the entry point;
• Patrons are to contact the emergency number (021) 400 2828 in the event of an emergency;
• For your safety a security guard will be stationed at the garage entry
Limited facilities for wheelchairs are available in the Opera House and Theatre in accordance with safety regulations. Wheelchair seats can be booked at the Artscape Box Office, at any Computicket outlet, or through the Computicket call centre. Please note that the Arena is not wheelchair friendly. Toilets for wheelchair-bound patrons aresituated in the Marble and Chandelier Foyers of the Opera House and on the lower level of the Theatre Foyer. Limited parking bays are available for bona fide Disabled Parking Disc Holders in the tunnel area opposite the Stage Door entrance, and in the staff parking area. A drop-off facility is available in the tunnel area for patrons who have difficulty walking. Prior arrangements in all regards should be made with the Theatre Manager.Wheelchairs
Disabled Parking and Wheelchairs are available on site but should be pre-booked by contacting Artscape Dial-a-seat on 021 421 7695