Artscape opens applications for 2015 Artscape Training Academy intake
Artscape, one of the first cultural institutions in the country to offer a one-year technical training programme in South Africa, has opened applications for the 2015 intake at the Artscape Technical Training Academy.
The programme aims to educate and train students in the key technical disciplines of professional theatre arts. On successful completion of the programme students will have the required skill associated with professional technical stage practice.
The closing date is 3 October 2014.
The training is structured to have a theoretical and a practical component with sufficient teaching and training time allocated to achieve the goals of both the theoretical and practical components. Students further more require practical experience through assignments to professional productions.
Students are evaluated through written assignments, written tests, practical assignments and practical evaluations. Evaluation is on a regular and continuous basis.
The basic requirements are:
- A senior certificate.
- Candidates should be articulate in two of the three official languages of the Western Cape (English, Afrikaans, isiXhosa)
- Have a keen interest in theatre and its technical operations.
- Experience in any of the technical disciplines of the performing arts will be advantageous.
- Only short-listed candidates will undergo panel interviews to be held at Artscape Theatre Centre.
Interested candidates can apply for the 2015 course by completing the relevant application form. Click here to download the application form.
Forward the completed form together with a Curriculum Vitae and a covering letter that motivates the applicant's interest in theatre technical disciplines to Kobus Rossouw at email@example.com.
The training programme consists of seven focus areas, each with its own modules:
1. Professional Theatre Process
• Module One:
Introduction to the Professional Theatre Process
• Module Two:
The Development of Theatre and Stage Technology
• Module Three:
Theatre Professionals and Job description
• Module Four:
The Theatre Building, Technical Equipment and Stage Machinery
• Module Five:
Technical Theatre Terminology
2. Theatre Safety Regulations
• Module One: Understanding the occupational risks of the working environment
• Module Two: Health and Safety Regulations
• Module Three: Risk Assessment and Management
3. Professional Stage Management and Production
• Module One: Introduction to Stage Management Process
• Module Two: The Production Stage Manager – Duties and responsibilities
• Module Three: Assistant Stage Management and Production
• Module Four: Stage Properties
• Module Five: Production Costuming
• Module Six: Music Literacy
• Module Seven: Theatre Etiquette and Protocol
4. Theatre Sound Process
• Module One: Introduction to Theatre Sound and Sound Equipment
• Module Two: Understanding the main components of the sound system and their use
• Module Three: The sound technician and operator
• Module Four: Theatre Sound Terminology
5. Theatre Lighting Process
• Module One: Introduction to Lighting Concepts
• Module Two: Lighting Equipment
• Module Three: Lighting Technique
• Module Four: The Lighting Design and Lighting Plan
• Module Five: The Lighting Rig, Plot and Maintenance
6. Theatre Design Process
• Module One: Introduction to the Production Concept, Style and Design
• Module Two: The Elements and Principles of Design
• Module Three: Developing, Formulating and Creating the Production Design
• Module Four: Technical Drawings
7. Production Management
• Module One: Introduction to Production Management
• Module Two: Production Planning and Process
• Module Three: Budgeting and Financial Control
• Module Four: International Touring
8. Producing and the Arts Entrepreneur
• Module One: Producing overview – Selecting and Commissioning
• Module Two: The Money – Funders, Partners and Sponsors
• Module Three: The Proposal – How we put it onto paper
• Module Four: Management Tools - Budgets, Contracts and Rights
• Module Five: Marketing and PR
Artscape Technical Training Academy